Dry Eye is a health condition characterized by an insufficient amount of tears to keep the eyes lubricated and nourished. Tears are very important because they help maintain the health of the front surface of the eyes and provide clear vision. If there are not enough tears, the eyes become more prone to infections and may become inflamed. This condition can be quite uncomfortable but it does not cause vision loss. Dry eye treatment is available at Karns Vision Center in Knoxville, TN.
The most common symptoms of this condition include the following:
- Burning sensation in the eyes
- Stingy mucus
- The eyes get tired faster than normal
- Difficulty sitting at the computer for a long period and reading
- Blurry vision
- The feeling of having sand in the eyes
- Watery tears
If you have one of the previously mentioned symptoms, it is recommended to see an eye doctor. We will perform an eye exam and suggest some appropriate treatment options. The most common and effective treatment methods include:
- Medications. Our doctor may prescribe an anti-inflammatory medication called cyclosporine (Restasis). It helps increase the amount of tears and reduce the risk of cornea damage.
- Artificial tears. These are eye drops that help make the eyes more moisturized. It is the most common treatment option for this eye condition.
- Lacrimal plugs. The plugs are used to block the drainage holes located in the corners of the eyes. This is a painless procedure, the purpose of which is to slow the process of tear loss.
- Surgery. If these treatments do not help your condition or if it is too severe, surgery may be your last resort. The purpose of the surgery is to plug the drainage holes in your eyes permanently, so you will always have an adequate amount of tears needed for keeping the eyes healthy.
- Home care. There are certain things you can do to manage the symptoms and slow down the progression of this condition. For example, you can limit the time you spend in front of the television or computer and stop wearing contact lenses. You can also start taking omega-3 fatty acid supplements that are helpful for people with this condition.
Eyecare in Knoxville, TN
If you are experiencing one or more of the previously mentioned symptoms of dry eye, you should consult with an eye doctor. At Karns Vision Center, we will examine your eyes and develop a treatment plan to provide relief for your dry eyes. Call us today at (865) 247-7715 to learn more or to book an appointment.